This is a great way to give the Gospel and illustrate that faith in Jesus Christ is the only way to get eternal life. It is something that is offered to everyone, but is only accessible through One… Jesus.
- First, have a prize of significant value that your students would love to have: $50 iTunes gift card, $100 bill, iPod, a full paid registration to your next big Student Ministry event, etc. Set it on a table in front of the room where everyone can see it.
- Next, ask if anyone in the room would like to have the designated prize. Grab the first student who raises their hand (or creatively/obnoxiously expresses their desire for the item) and have them join you down front where the prize is now within their reach. Ask them to bring their cell phone with them.
- Share with them that all that have to do in order to win the prize is to use their cell phone to dial your dad’s cell phone. They have one shot, but if they can get in touch with your dad the prize is theirs.
- After explaining the rules, actually have them type in a 10-digit phone number. You can either verify if their blind guess to call your dad was the right phone number or you can have them hit “SEND” and then politely tell the person that they called that they have dialed a wrong number.
- Send them back to their seat empty handed.
- Explain to your students that their is a great prize that we all desire to have, the forgiveness of our sins and eternal life with God, that is only available to us through Jesus Christ.
Giving the Gospel using this cell phone object lesson works really great, especially if you are teaching on:
- John 14:6 or John 3:16
- Any of the “I am…” passages in the gospel of John
- Is Christianity/ believing in Jesus the only way to heaven?
- Various world religions