How to Share Your Faith Using de Jesus Miranda
What would you do if your next door neighbor claimed to be Jesus? Would it kinda freak you out? Well believe it or not, there's a suburb of Houston where the neighbors actually have to come with an answer to that question!
Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda, a native of Puerto Rico now living in Houston, claims to be God - as in the Second Coming of Christ. His followers, who he claims number over a million and span 30 countries, greet him with chants of "Lord, Lord, Lord!" He has cultivated a following through his websites and radio and TV broadcasts, bringing in millions of dollars of donations each year and converting a growing number of followers to his flock. Interestingly, in 1998, de Jesus claimed he was the reincarnation of the Apostle Paul, it has only been more recently that he promoted himself to being God!
So how would you respond if you lived next door to this guy? Would you know how to evaluate his claims and determine whether he's the founder of an outrageous cult or the next best thing in God's plan for humanity?
The Bible tells us, "Test everything. Hold on to the good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21). So your first step should be to look at what the guy is teaching and how it measures up against what the Bible has to say. De Jesus contradicts a number of central teachings of the New Testament, claiming that sin and the devil no longer exist. For example, de Jesus commented in a recent interview that murder and theft are crimes, but not sins. He contends that prayer is a waste of time...not quite in line with what the first century Jesus' taught his disciples!
So you get the picture...much of what the 21st century de Jesus is teaching contradicts the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth 2000 years ago. But this wacko, would-be messiah can still provide a conversation starter for you to talk about the REAL Jesus Christ with others. Try some of these questions with your friends.
- Have you heard about this guy, de Jesus, who claims to be the Second Coming of Christ?
- If Jesus lived among us now, what do you think he'd be like? De Jesus wears monster diamond rings and drives a BMW. Whatdayathink? Would Jesus drive a BMW?
- Do you ever think about what the real return of Christ will be like? If you need help discussing this, check out the Soul Fuel on the return of Christ.
- Are you looking forward to the return of the real Jesus, or are you filled with fear when you think about it?
- Do you know for sure that you're going to heaven? For help explaining the Gospel, check out the GOSPEL Journey.
De Jesus isn't the first guy, and won't be the last, claiming to be God. His claims are so outrageous it makes it easy to dismiss his off-base teachings. But take this opportunity to use his offbeat story to talk with your friends about the REAL Jesus!